Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Illustrators with Ink: Lisa Congdon [feedly]



----
Illustrators with Ink: Lisa Congdon
// Brown Paper Bag

false
Lisa Congdon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon.

It's another installment of Illustrators with Ink, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite features I've ever had on Brown Paper Bag. Today, let's take a look at illustrator Lisa Congdon's tattoos!

Lisa Congdon is a creative lady who probably needs no introduction. Her colorful work is featured in magazines, on wallpaper, textiles, and in different galleries around the United States. In addition, Lisa is also a blogger and published author! She definitely keeps herself busy, and I'm elated to share with you an interview with her about her ink.

How many tattoos do you have? 12
How old were you when you got your first tattoo? 29 (I am 46 now).
Did you design any yourself? If not, would you ever?No, I don't have any of my own design on my body, but I have designed many tattoos for other people. And I do have a plan to design something for myself soon.
Do you have a favorite? If so, which one and why? My favorite is probably my tattoo of my chihuahua, Wilfredo. He's my soul mate, my constant companion, my anxiety buffer. I love that he'll be with me forever, even after he dies.
Where did you get your work done? I have gotten tattoos by a few different people, but for the past eight years or so I have been going to Cicely Daniher at Cyclops Tattoo in the Mission District of San Francisco. She's the best, in my opinion.
Is there any meaning behind any of your tattoos? Any stories?I had a really difficult and traumatic life experience last year and during that time I got my tiger tattoo with the words Je suis fort — which means "I am strong" in French. Having a tiger on one arm and a chihuahua on the other keeps me protected.
Do you see a connection between the type of tattoos you have and your illustrative work?Most of my tattoos are visual symbols of things that I find beautiful or inspiring or significant, and so in that way they relate to my work, because my work is often about things I find beautiful, inspiring or significant (even difficult or sad things). But visually they are super different because I didn't design any of them.

lisa congdon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon.

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon

Photo credit: Sarah Deragon

Thanks, Lisa!

And, here's some of her work:

lisa congdon

lisa-congdon-2 lisa-congdon-3 lisa-congdon-5lisa-congdon-6

The post Illustrators with Ink: Lisa Congdon appeared first on Brown Paper Bag.


----

Shared via my feedly reader


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment